Here we are again, the third volume in a series set to outstrip my “Legendary Deep Funk” comps. We do hope so, as we much prefer the music on these. The funk and soul thing seems much too serious nowadays. Whereas rockin tunes are all about fun. Not to detract from the quality of music on these tunes, but you can clearly here the fun they had recording them.
The majority of the tunes on volume 2 were ultra-rare rockabilly classics. This time we’ve gone for pure fun with a few deeper sounding rarities thrown in to add a hint of diversity. Dj’ing is also much more fun for us now as this music generates happiness in the crowd too. The old northern soul days of “drowning in a sea of my own despair” have been replaced with “having a ball”. That seems the condition we left the UK in too, with lots of younger club goers having a ball to the likes of Johnny Burnette or Charlie Feathers.
Japan is already in the grip of Rockabilly fever, but we have our work cut out in other countries over here in South East Asia. Noel Coward once said “funny how powerful cheap music is”. Still give us a few years and we will save them from a life of pish music. Already little pockets of resistance are breaking out. A bit like the UK ten years ago then ??
01. Ganimian & His Orientals - Come With Me To The Casbah
02. Angie & The Citations - Headache
03. Round Robin - I'm The Wolf Man
04. Gene Maltais with The Gibson String Band - The Raging Sea
05. Johnny Knight - Rock & Roll Guitar
06. Phil Barclay And The Sliders - Short Fat Ben
07. Tony and Jackie Lamie with The Swing Kings - Sunset Blues
08. The Shindigs - Thunder Reef
09. Ole Miss Down Beats - Geraldine
10. Riki and The Rikatones - Whiphash
11. Marlon "Madman" Mitchell and The Rocketeers - Ice Cold Baby
12. Johnny Powers with the band of Stan Getz & Tom Cats - Rock Rock
13. Eddie Gaines and The 'Rockin' Five - Be-Bop Battlin' Ball
14. Ray Taylor and Alabama Pals - Connie Lou
15. Everett Carpenter - Let Your Hair Down Baby
16. Untouchables - Crawlin' (The Crawl)
17. The Page Boys - Barricuda
18. Joe Lee and Orchestra - Hang-Out
19. The Rebel Rousers - Peter Gunn Twist
20. The Country Dudes - Have A Ball
People also bought...
Keb Darge & Little Edith
Keb Darge & Little Edith's Legendary Wild Rockers 2>
The Muggsy Story>
Keb Darge's Legendary Deep Funk>
Kev Beadle presents Private Collection>
DJ Spinna & BBE Soundsystem
Best of Perception & Today Records compiled by DJ Spinna and BBE Soundsystem>